Welcome to The Malaya Daily. from lazacode.com

Tuesday, 12 March 2013

Sulu Rebels: 22 more bodies of militants removed

LAHAD DATU: Another gunman has been shot dead the 54th casualty among the Sulu gunmen as security forces removed 22 bodies from Kampung Tanjung Batu and Semporna.

Sabah police chief Comm Datuk Hamza Taib said the bodies had been sent to Tawau Hospital and Lahad Datu Hospital for forensic investigations and post-mortem.

“We did not remove the nine bodies found in Kampung Tanduo as they were too badly decomposed,” he told a press conference.

The gunman killed on Sunday was shot in Kampung Tanjung Batu after two policemen were injured during sporadic shooting.

This brings the number of injured personnel to five.

Comm Hamza also said six more people had been detained for suspected links to the terrorists, bringing the total to 97 detained under Section 130(C) of the Security Offences and Special Measures Act 2012.

Another 125 people have also been detained for trying to enter areas where operations were being conducted.

Comm Hamza added that mopping-up operations in Kampung Tanduo had ended and security forces were in the final stages of clearing out any remaining gunmen.

“We are now focusing on Kampung Tanjung Batu and Sungai Bilis areas. Hopefully we can finish soon and allow villagers to go home,” he said.


Post a Comment